Wiki Placenta Pathology

PeaPod1

Networker
Best answers
Hello,
I am trying to find out what to use for the ICD9 code for the pathology exam on a normal placenta after delivery.
Any suggestions/input are appreciated.
Thanks

if there were no abnormally and it was a vag deliverly code 650. if it there was a complication code the complication . if it was a c- sec code 669.71

Normal delivery need not necessarily mean normal placenta. It would have been all normal stages of delivery, including the satge 3 ie the delivery of the placenta. Perfect normal delivery. But yet there may be some forms of palcental abonormalities grossly or microscopically in the placenta. The very idea of sending the placenta for pathology evaluation/examination itself is to confirm whether it is normal or not. Normally the gross examination( which is A PART AND PARCEL OF DELIVERING PHYSICIAN TO GIVE GROSS EXAMINATION FOR EVERY PLACENTA DELIVERED) itself will do to say it appears normal or not. Well that is apart.
By the way why would you code 650 for the pathology evaluation of the placenta or even the placenta (as such there is no mention about the placenta there.
As an answer to his quiry : I would code Placenta, postpartum- one of those series of codes-666.24, 666.22, 666.20 depending upon unspecified episode, postpartum condition or complication, or delivered with mention of postpartum complication

And definitely not 650.
I hope I am correct . AM I?
Thank you.

shine

Please clarify without a complication how can we code a postpartum complication for a normal placenta.

Please clarify without a complication how can we code a postpartum complication for a normal placenta.

A post partum complication with a normal placenta would not involve a pathological dx of the placenta. Please specify what you are looking for here. I suspect this is not a pathology dx so much as an obstetrical one being looked for.