Wiki Please help clarify HCPCS code G9008

Best answers
Looking for a more specific description for HCPCS level II code G9008- My provider has been told he can bill this code when our NP does follow up calls on patients
that were seen either in ER or urgent care. Example: Patient seen in ER for broken bone, we receive notice that patient was seen in ER we call (document that patient was called) to see how they are doing patient tells us what happened and that ER sent them to see Orthopedics and when they have follow up appointment with Orthopedics scheduled. I'm not sure where our "Coordinated care oversight services" really are?? Would someone please help me to determine if this really is proper coding and where I might be able to find documentation? Thank you!

Does the billing provider call? Or is it one of the ancillary/administrative staff? That may make the difference.

Per Encoder Pro, the lay description is: "In an effort to improve care and to contain costs, Medicare is testing several coordinated care demonstration projects. There are 15 sites that manage or coordinate all care delivered to Medicare beneficiaries with certain complex chronic illnesses, including asthma, diabetes, CHF and related cardiac conditions, hypertension, ESRD, CAD, cardiovascular and cerebrovascular conditions, and chronic lung disease."

It also says these codes are only permissible to be used by the 15 sites that are part of the test projects.

I hope this helps you!