Wiki Podiatry/DME coding

Lisa Bledsoe

True Blue
Best answers
Hi All! I hope there is a Podiatry expert out there somewhere that can help me! We need HCPCS codes for items like "Bunion Care Gel Sleeve", "Universal Gel Strap", "Digital Caps", etc... Just found out we cannot bill Medicare with 99070-GA because of the "B" status on the CMS Physician Database. Looks like we should be billing DMERC but what codes would we use? The vendor we purchase these items from is ABSOLUTLEY CLUELESS... I'm forever grateful if anyone has any guidance for me...

Cpc

I used to work in DME, we billed DMERC. I used to use E1399 for those things along with the invoice and a description for the product itself with the claim.

If these items are from Jill Gels at our office we charge the patient for them as an over the counter item. The reasoning of this is that several of these silIcone based products can be purchased at pharmacies or discount store for similar items sold by Dr. Scholl's with out a prescription and they have no PDAC letter for these items (used to be SADMERC letter) to give them a HCPC code.