Wiki podiatry - I'm new to podiatry

what kind of issues? there are several quirky rules in podiatry. i use super coder web based. it is like encoder pro but specifically for podiatry. i am able to easily pull LCD for the podiatry codes.

questions

One example:
LCD is requesting that name of the MD or DO who diagnosed the complicated condition must be submitted with the claim. Not sure where that would go on a 1500 form, and should this be a question that the Nurse should get at the tim eof service?
thanks for your help!!!:)

DLS goes in box 15 above the name of the referring physician. Yes the nurse of front desk should be able to get this info from the patient at the time of service.

There are so many rules with Podiatry billing. It has been a few years since I billed/coded for this specialty, but it gets much easy after learning all the rules!

Go to the CMS.gov website & just search for podiatry or foot care billing or foot care coverage.

The last visit DOS & provider information is required on the claim when billing certain CPT codes. The DX codes have a sequence requirement for certain CPT codes also.

Good luck!

Hello! I am new to Podatry coding/billing. I'm having issues. Does anyone know of a webinar, seminar, class or something that I could take? Your help is greatly appreciated!

I offer private coding courses. toniasilva856@gmail.com
I'm not exactly new to podiatry coding, but I'm in desperate need of a refresher. The practice I code for brought on new podiatrists, their documentation is so different from what I'm used to seeing, and they question everything I send back to them. I find that I'm second guessing myself and questioning my own coding every single day. Management also recently made a change and now all the coders in my department are expected to help billing with denial inquiries and research and I know almost nothing about billing. I sent one of the new podiatrists a message telling him that the callus removal he was trying to bill would not be billable because there were insufficient class findings to show vascular impairment (he only documented diminished pedal pulses) and removal due to pain is not covered under Medicare's routine foot and nail care policy. He sent a message back telling me that even if the diagnosis isn't supported I should still submit it because the "procedure was still performed, nonetheless". I'm confused about the other insurance carriers' policies and as a coder am I expected to know all of them? I don't know what insurance carriers cover what procedures...I just read the doctors note to see if the documentation supports the codes that the doctors chose/want to use. I send them a message telling them if something's not supported or if a coding change is required. Anyway, I have several other examples and I could really use one of your coaching sessions!!! How do I sign up?

I'm not exactly new to podiatry coding, but I'm in desperate need of a refresher. The practice I code for brought on new podiatrists, their documentation is so different from what I'm used to seeing, and they question everything I send back to them. I find that I'm second guessing myself and questioning my own coding every single day. Management also recently made a change and now all the coders in my department are expected to help billing with denial inquiries and research and I know almost nothing about billing. I sent one of the new podiatrists a message telling him that the callus removal he was trying to bill would not be billable because there were insufficient class findings to show vascular impairment (he only documented diminished pedal pulses) and removal due to pain is not covered under Medicare's routine foot and nail care policy. He sent a message back telling me that even if the diagnosis isn't supported I should still submit it because the "procedure was still performed, nonetheless". I'm confused about the other insurance carriers' policies and as a coder am I expected to know all of them? I don't know what insurance carriers cover what procedures...I just read the doctors note to see if the documentation supports the codes that the doctors chose/want to use. I send them a message telling them if something's not supported or if a coding change is required. Anyway, I have several other examples and I could really use one of your coaching sessions!!! How do I sign up?
Email me for more information. toniasilva856@gmail.com