Wiki polyp removal in office

TanBro

Networker
Best answers
Excision of a vaginal polyp external done in office, depending on size I would use the 11420 codes, correct? That is what I use for cyst excision, but the word polyp is throwing me off. Just need some clarification please. Thanks

Excision of a vaginal polyp external done in office, depending on size I would use the 11420 codes, correct? That is what I use for cyst excision, but the word polyp is throwing me off. Just need some clarification please. Thanks
A polyp is a tissue mass shaped like a stalk or finger (like a skin tag) but a cyst is a fluid filled sac under the skin or mucosa. So there is a difference and excision of a cyst or tumor of the vagina would be represented by code 57315 because they have to dig it out of the vaginal wall. A polyp, on the other hand, is usually hanging on the surface and can be cut with scissors. 11420 requires a local anesthesia, and per the CPT knowledgebase "The excision codes (1142X) can be used to remove skin lesions, including a margin, and the lesion is typically deep, but is closed with sutures and is not a layered closure." So in the case, how was the polyp removed? And did the removal match the requirements for 11420?

A polyp is a tissue mass shaped like a stalk or finger (like a skin tag) but a cyst is a fluid filled sac under the skin or mucosa. So there is a difference and excision of a cyst or tumor of the vagina would be represented by code 57315 because they have to dig it out of the vaginal wall. A polyp, on the other hand, is usually hanging on the surface and can be cut with scissors. 11420 requires a local anesthesia, and per the CPT knowledgebase "The excision codes (1142X) can be used to remove skin lesions, including a margin, and the lesion is typically deep, but is closed with sutures and is not a layered closure." So in the case, how was the polyp removed? And did the removal match the requirements for 11420?
This is great information. Thank you so much. This particular one was 2% lidocaine The base of the pedunculated vaginal polyp was sterilely prepped with Betadine, Lidocaine was injected to the base and the polyp was excised. This one was 2 1/2 cm by 3 mm.

But now I'm second guessing my cyst removal's as well. The one I had the other day was the same with betadine and 2% lidocaine. After sufficient numbing the area was excised. Silver Nitrate used to cauterize the base. I did 11421. Was that correct? It was near the introitus. I tried to find the code 57315 but I think you meant to put 57135. When I researched that code, I thought that was internal?

Last edited:
This is great information. Thank you so much. This particular one was 2% lidocaine The base of the pedunculated vaginal polyp was sterilely prepped with Betadine, Lidocaine was injected to the base and the polyp was excised. This one was 2 1/2 cm by 3 mm.

But now I'm second guessing my cyst removal's as well. The one I had the other day was the same with betadine and 2% lidocaine. After sufficient numbing the area was excised. Silver Nitrate used to cauterize the base. I did 11421. Was that correct? It was near the introitus. I tried to find the code 57315 but I think you meant to put 57135. When I researched that code, I thought that was internal?
Yes, typos are always abundant. I did mean 57135. And yes, the cyst or tumor would have to be in the vaginal canal, not located on the external genitalia.

Ok so was I correct to use the integumentary codes. Sorry I'm more confused now lol.
Sorry, I was trying to make the point that most polyps do not require excision into the base, but are rather snipped off at the skin surface. The integumentary codes would be correct for excision of a polyp if those conditions are met. 57135 is meant for digging out a cyst or tumor that is imbedded into the vaginal wall.