• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

Port-a-cath, port removal

Alisa Dinneen

Networker
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Does anyone know the correct cpt code to use for removal of a port-a-cath, port only? I am considering 36590 with a 52 modifier or possibly 37799 "unlisted procedure, vascular surgery."

Thank you,
Alisa

RMORAN

New
Best answers
Teri CPC

On the 36590 if I use general sedation instead of moderate can I still use that code? What code would you use if the cath is non tunneled

cmartin

Guru
Best answers
The type of sedation doesn't affect the code for the port removal; the moderate sedation symbol just means that you can't bill separately for moderate sedation services by the surgeon. Removal of a non-tunneled cath is a visit code.

ccordero

New
Best answers
If the removal of a port-a-cath happens during the global period, would that be a post-op visit?