Wiki Post Op billing

Best answers
Good morning! This morning my employer posed a question to me regarding the 99024 post op code. We always bill this code as a $0.00 charge during the global period, however apparently Premera of Alaska is showing they have an allowable for this code. Does anyone know of an instance where you would charge for this? The code description does state "normally included" in the surgical package, but when is it ever not included. Thanks for any input!

Casey Hamilton, CPC

Very interesting...

I can't imagine a situation where you would use this code and get paid. If an E/M is provided during the global surgical period that is not part of the surgical package, the proper way to bill it would be the E/M code (ie 9921X) with modifier 24.

I have not seen anything to indicate otherwise myself so I will be watching to see if anyone else has more info.

Thanks,

Laura, CPC

I know...

I explained that to my employer, if it was outside the global i.e. an unrelated e/m we would bill with a 24 mod, but I have never in all my years of coding/billing ever seen a 99024 be billed with a charge. Thanks for reaffirming.. maybe someone else has heard/seen this?