Wiki postpartum labial laceration repair

ltingle1

Contributor
Best answers
Patient is 7 weeks post partum and has a 2.5 cm labial laceration repaired (from delivery) by the same MD that delivered the baby. What code would I use for this? The integumentary laceration repair codes? Would this be considered scar revision? Also, for the dx code would I use an "O" code?
Please help!

"The patient was placed on the table in a dorsal lithotomy position and draped in the appropriate manner. The area was prepped with Hibiclens. The right labia was stabilized with Allises and injected with 4 ccs of 1% Xylocaine with epinephrine. The right labial tear was repaired with sutures. Pressure was applied to the site to control bleeding and interrupted sutures of 2-0 Vicryl were used to close the wound. Hemostasis was adequate."

Last edited:
Patient is 7 weeks post partum and has a 2.5 cm labial laceration repaired (from delivery) by the same MD that delivered the baby. What code would I use for this? The integumentary laceration repair codes? Would this be considered scar revision? Also, for the dx code would I use an "O" code?
Please help!

"The patient was placed on the table in a dorsal lithotomy position and draped in the appropriate manner. The area was prepped with Hibiclens. The right labia was stabilized with Allises and injected with 4 ccs of 1% Xylocaine with epinephrine. The right labial tear was repaired with sutures. Pressure was applied to the site to control bleeding and interrupted sutures of 2-0 Vicryl were used to close the wound. Hemostasis was adequate."
I would report 12041 for this repair as it was intermediate and not an episiotomy. He appears to be describing a tear, not scar revision.