Wiki PPM Implant Biventricular

Best answers
I'm struggling with these PPM BiV insertions. I'm confused by the note and would like another set of eyes to read it and see how you interpret it.

BIVENTRICULAR PACER IMPLANTATION
PROCEDURE PERFORMED: Biventricular pacemaker implantation using an existing left ventricular epicardial lead in conjunction with newly implanted atrial and right ventricular leads.
COMPLICATIONS: None
ESTIMATED BLOOD LOSS: 25 cc
SITE: left axillary vein access.
INDICATION: 62-year-old male status post cardiovascular surgery now with complete heart block dependent on epicardial leads. He has a low ejection fraction.
PROCEDURE: The risks, benefits, and alternative of the procedure were all discussed with the patients MD POA. The consent was signed and placed in the chart. In the fasting state, the patient was taken to the cardiac catheterization laboratory. A time-out was performed. Prior to the procedure prophylactic antibiotics were administered and a venogram was performed. This identified a widely patent axillary/subclavian system. The patient was sterilely prepped and draped in the usual manner for permanent pacemaker insertion. Lidocaine was infiltrated into the region below the left clavicle to provide local anesthesia.
Conscious sedation was utilized throughout the procedure. Using a #10 blade, a 3 cm horizontal incision was made in theleft infraclavicular region and blunt and sharp dissection were used to fashion the pacemaker pocket. Electrocautery was used for hemostasis. The pocket was then extended medially to wear the existing epicardial left ventricular leads were located. Using blunt dissection this pocket was opened and both of these leads were then pulled into the newly formed pacemaker pocket. One of these leads was uncapped and tested with excellent capture and sensing. We decided to use this lead for the left ventricular lead. An antibiotic-soaked sponge was then placed in the pocket.
Using an 18 gauge Cook needle and the modified Seldinger technique, the left axillary vein was accessed at the level of the 1st rib. A 0.035 guidewire was then passed through the Cook needle and the Cook needle was then removed. The wire was secured in place with the hemostat. This procedure was then repeated. Using the 1st wire, a safe sheath was then placed in the axillary vein. This allowed passage of the right ventricular lead into the right ventricular apex where the lead was screwed into place, the sheath torn away and the lead tested. This demonstrated adequate capture and sensing thresholds. The lead was then secured to the pacemaker pocket floor using 0 Ethibond . Using the remaining J-wire a 2nd safe sheath was placed. This allowed passage of the right atrial lead into the right atrial appendage. The lead was screwed into place, the sheath torn away and the lead tested with adequate capture and sensing thresholds. This lead was then secured to the pacemaker pocket floor using 0 Ethibond. At this point, the antibiotic soaked sponge was removed from the pocket. The pocket was inspected and all bleeders were cauterized. The pocket was then irrigated with antibiotic-containing solution.
The device was then brought to the field and all 3 leads were then affixed to the header according to manufacturer guidelines.. The device and the redundant portions of both leads were then placed in the pocket. The pocket was then closed in 3 layers initially with 2 layers of interrupted suture using 2 0 and 3 0 Vicryl and finally running strata fix for the skin. Steri-Strips and a dry dressing were applied.
COMPLICATIONS: None.
DEVICE INFORMATION: The newly implanted pacemaker is an Abbott Allure RF 3222. Serial number 3957327. The existing left ventricular lead is a Myopore 511211 35 cm in length serial 327136. The newly implanted right ventricular lead is a Saint Jude Medical Tendril STS 2088 TC 58 cm in length serial number EDH017721. The newly implanted atrial lead is a Saint Jude Medical Tendril STS 2088 TC 52 cm in length, serial number EDG026770. In the atrium capture was 0.75 volts at 0.5 milliseconds with sensed P waves of 1.2 mV and a lead impedance of 350 Ohms. In the right ventricle capture was 0.5 volts at 0.6 milliseconds. Sensing was not able to be performed due to the absence of R-waves. Lead impedance was 380 Ohms. The left ventricular epicardial lead capture was 1.75 volts at 0.5 milliseconds.
DISPOSITION: The patient will be transferred to the ICU to continue care. An ECG and chest x-ray have been ordered.

I would code 33206 for the atrial lead and pacemaker and 33225 for the left ventricular lead.
HTH,
Jim Pawloski, CIRCC
Can I clarify something with you? I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing...I have an audit coming up :) The 33225 is for putting in a LV lead right? and when I read the note that's not clear to me. I'm reading the LV lead was already implanted and he had an Atrial lead and a Rt ventricular lead implanted. I might be overthinking this whole thing. Sorry!

I would code 33206 for the atrial lead and pacemaker and 33225 for the left ventricular lead.
HTH,
Jim Pawloski, CIRCC
My boss has thrown another option out to me. She says it looks like 2 LV leads were previously placed but only one of them was uncapped and used... meaning both the RA lead and the RV lead were placed during this procedure. She's suggesting 33208 and no 33225. I would like your take on that when you have time. Thanks so much!

Hello, this is a long explanation, but I hope it helps.

Dissecting your notes as shown below,
1 & 2 - This patient already has LV EPICARDIAL leads (for Complete Heart block), which was left behind now for LV pacing.
3. New RV transvenous lead inserted
4. New RA transvenous lead inserted.

So technically patient does have Bi Ventricular implant now (existing Epicardial LV lead + New TRANSVENOUS RV and RA leads).
- For this OP note, I will code just the 33208 only
- We cannot code the 33225 because LV lead is already an Existing one... and it is Epicardial too (Not transvenous)
- My only concern is the Generator for this combo! - not sure if they keep them entirely separate / they connect all 3 leads to a single one! .... which you need to clarify with your doctor.

PROCEDURE PERFORMED: Biventricular pacemaker implantation using an 1. existing left ventricular epicardial lead in conjunction with newly implanted atrial and right ventricular leads.

2.Electrocautery was used for hemostasis. The pocket was then extended medially to wear the existing epicardial left ventricular leads were located. Using blunt dissection this pocket was opened and both of these leads were then pulled into the newly formed pacemaker pocket. One of these leads was uncapped and tested with excellent capture and sensing. We decided to use this lead for the left ventricular lead.

3.This allowed passage of the right ventricular lead into the right ventricular apex where the lead was screwed into place, the sheath torn away and the lead tested. This demonstrated adequate capture and sensing thresholds. The lead was then secured to the pacemaker pocket floor using 0 Ethibond .

4.Using the remaining J-wire a 2nd safe sheath was placed. This allowed passage of the right atrial lead into the right atrial appendage. The lead was screwed into place, the sheath torn away and the lead tested with adequate capture and sensing thresholds. This lead was then secured to the pacemaker pocket floor using 0 Ethibond.

Hello, this is a long explanation, but I hope it helps.

Dissecting your notes as shown below,
1 & 2 - This patient already has LV EPICARDIAL leads (for Complete Heart block), which was left behind now for LV pacing.
3. New RV transvenous lead inserted
4. New RA transvenous lead inserted.

So technically patient does have Bi Ventricular implant now (existing Epicardial LV lead + New TRANSVENOUS RV and RA leads).
- For this OP note, I will code just the 33208 only
- We cannot code the 33225 because LV lead is already an Existing one... and it is Epicardial too (Not transvenous)
- My only concern is the Generator for this combo! - not sure if they keep them entirely separate / they connect all 3 leads to a single one! .... which you need to clarify with your doctor.

PROCEDURE PERFORMED: Biventricular pacemaker implantation using an 1. existing left ventricular epicardial lead in conjunction with newly implanted atrial and right ventricular leads.

2.Electrocautery was used for hemostasis. The pocket was then extended medially to wear the existing epicardial left ventricular leads were located. Using blunt dissection this pocket was opened and both of these leads were then pulled into the newly formed pacemaker pocket. One of these leads was uncapped and tested with excellent capture and sensing. We decided to use this lead for the left ventricular lead.

3.This allowed passage of the right ventricular lead into the right ventricular apex where the lead was screwed into place, the sheath torn away and the lead tested. This demonstrated adequate capture and sensing thresholds. The lead was then secured to the pacemaker pocket floor using 0 Ethibond .

4.Using the remaining J-wire a 2nd safe sheath was placed. This allowed passage of the right atrial lead into the right atrial appendage. The lead was screwed into place, the sheath torn away and the lead tested with adequate capture and sensing thresholds. This lead was then secured to the pacemaker pocket floor using 0 Ethibond.
Thank you so much for taking the time to look at this. I really appreciate the input and detailed explanation. I like when it's spelled out to me in terms I can understand. Thanks so much again!