Wiki PQRI Measures?

Partha

Expert
Best answers
Experts in forum need your advice here:

What is a good approach to determine applicable PQRI measures for a practice, ensure that we are not missing anything.

My friend in a billing co. would review the diagonsis & CPTs billed by providers in the past and search for them in the 2009 Measure List from cms website. Is there a better way to do this?

Any inputs will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks forum!!!

Pqri

In my office, we as the coders have a list in front of us of the measures that are applicable at this time (CPT and ICD) and append the reporting code to the charges as they are billed out. I don't know if that helps but it was the best way for us.

Thanks - That is correct but how do we determine which measures are applicable out of the 100+ measures.

How to determine appropriate measures...

While there are currently 153 measures (22 more on the way for 2010), they are in certain categories. For instance in surgical settings, you are looking at measures 20, 21, 22 and 23. Add 43, 44 and 45, if looking at thoracic and CABG procedures. Anesthesia looks at measures 30 and 76. Pathology works with 99 and 100. Family Medicine would look at 1, 2, 3, 154 and 155. etc.

What you need to do is go to the chief of your department(s) and show them the list and get their input. Each department needs to select 4-5 measures which are most applicable to their specialty and patient mix.

Unfortunately, you need to study the 442 measure specifications manual in order to get a handle on which measures are most appropriate for your individual departments/specialties.

Tom Beach, BS, CPC, PCA
beach002@mc.duke.edu

Pqri

I find all the PQRI info out there overwhelming. Have you found a good resource that is clear and easy to use? That is what I'm looking for. We are a Hospitalist group.
Thanks.