Wiki Practicode

manisha08

New
Best answers
I am currently working on my Practicode and have no experience in medical field. Can someone help me to understand what kind of application /tool are we using for Practicode (EPIC, Cerner, etc...), because it says using Practicode will give real world experience. Thanks.

With Practicode, you are not using an EMR system such as EPIC, however you are viewing and coding examples of op reports and office visits and you are using AAPC's encoder tool. I put practicode on my resume as an externship under education and was able to say I had encoder experience. If you have zero experience in healthcare, I highly recommend you take practicode slowly (took me 6 months and I did it full time during the day) and you get a medical records or front desk position at a hospital ASAP. If they use EPIC, then you can say you have experience with EPIC and you did AAPC's externship online, used their encoder system ... etc. Trying to get a coding position without any medical or healthcare experience is very hard and you will get frustrated. Work at a hospital while doing this, and try and make connections there. Go to local meetings as well if you are close to one, this will help you network. No shame in not having any coding experience though, lots of managers like to hire and train their coders, but if you want to be a stronger candidate, I would recommend working at a hospital or a medical office while you work on practicode so your resume can be stronger.