Wiki Practicode

rward

Contributor
Best answers
I'm a new CPC-A who has been job hunting since the end of July with no luck landing a job yet. I know it hasn't been that long since getting my certification, but was also thinking about doing practicode to get my A removed. I'm hoping to get people's honest opinions on it, since I've read a lot of people are frustrated with it. Is it worth it or just a waste of time since it's extremely hard??? Thanks for your help!

Here's my opinion on Practicode from a hiring manager's perspective.
If I am hiring entry level with no experience required, then a candidate who did Practicode may stand out over other candidates with no experience.
If I am seeking experience (even 6 months), then Practicode is NOT experience and I would pass on that candidate.

What I hear repeatedly from newly certified coders is that employers want experience. Practice does not count as experience, and is additional education in my opinion.
So if you are seeing jobs requiring experience, then I don't think Practicode is worth it. If you are seeing and applying for coding jobs not requiring experience, then Practicode may help get you an interview.

If it were me, I would rather get a very entry level job at any position in a medical office or facility. I won't have to pay for Practicode, get a paycheck, get to put medical office experience on my resume, AND might get to network with coders. Heck, I think I'd rather work as a free intern somewhere.

If I am hiring entry level with no experience required, then a candidate who did Practicode may stand out over other candidates with no experience.
If I am seeking experience (even 6 months), then Practicode is NOT experience and I would pass on that candidate.

What I hear repeatedly from newly certified coders is that employers want experience. Practice does not count as experience, and is additional education in my opinion.
So if you are seeing jobs requiring experience, then I don't think Practicode is worth it. If you are seeing and applying for coding jobs not requiring experience, then Practicode may help get you an interview.

If it were me, I would rather get a very entry level job at any position in a medical office or facility. I won't have to pay for Practicode, get a paycheck, get to put medical office experience on my resume, AND might get to network with coders. Heck, I think I'd rather work as a free intern somewhere.
I feel like the majority of the jobs I'm seeing are definitely wanting experience, the least amount I've seen posted on jobs is 1 year. and yes I understand that practicode does not count as experience. I think for the time being, I'm going to pass on practicode (it's also kind of expensive) and just keep applying for jobs. I know the right job for me is out, I just have to be patient and network like crazy! A lot of times during job hunting, it's not what you know, but who you know! Thanks for your advice

I feel like the majority of the jobs I'm seeing are definitely wanting experience, the least amount I've seen posted on jobs is 1 year. and yes I understand that practicode does not count as experience. I think for the time being, I'm going to pass on practicode (it's also kind of expensive) and just keep applying for jobs. I know the right job for me is out, I just have to be patient and network like crazy! A lot of times during job hunting, it's not what you know, but who you know! Thanks for your advice

Thank you so much for giving your honest opinion from a hiring manager's perspective. I turned down an interview for Front Desk because I felt like it would not be beneficial and had nothing to do with coding. Looking back, it is a foot in the door. It's really difficult trying to get even an entry level job in medical coding. Moving forward, I will continue applying for jobs and networking.

Thank you so much for giving your honest opinion from a hiring manager's perspective. I turned down an interview for Front Desk because I felt like it would not be beneficial and had nothing to do with coding. Looking back, it is a foot in the door. It's really difficult trying to get even an entry level job in medical coding. Moving forward, I will continue applying for jobs and networking.
While someone who trained and passed the CPC is not hoping to work front desk, it is great experience, especially if you've never worked in a medical office.
You get to learn nuances of different insurance plans. You work in an EMR system. You see and can read actual real life medical records. You might see what CPT and ICD-10s were assigned to records. You might see insurance claim denials. In some practices, front desk may also be responsible or assist for things like insurance authorizations or referrals. You interact with medical professionals and medical administrative staff. These are all skills that can be applied to working as a medical coder. Most importantly, if billing/coding is onsite you might be able to learn from those more experienced. Let me tell you, if I had someone working the front desk who asked if 1 day a week they could come in or stay late an extra hour to intern with a coder, the second I had a coding job opening, I would be offering it to that person.
My outlook when hiring is that NO ONE I hire is going to come in knowing everything they need to. I will have to teach them something. So if I already know someone is a good employee (willing to learn, go-getter, team player, which all really can't be taught) and already knows my computer system and staff, I would be very willing to spend the teaching time explaining coding guidelines as they pertain to our office or specialty. It's much better than hiring someone who already has 10 years of experience in the specialty but spends the day gossiping or constantly complaining or unwilling to hear another perspective.

While someone who trained and passed the CPC is not hoping to work front desk, it is great experience, especially if you've never worked in a medical office.
You get to learn nuances of different insurance plans. You work in an EMR system. You see and can read actual real life medical records. You might see what CPT and ICD-10s were assigned to records. You might see insurance claim denials. In some practices, front desk may also be responsible or assist for things like insurance authorizations or referrals. You interact with medical professionals and medical administrative staff. These are all skills that can be applied to working as a medical coder. Most importantly, if billing/coding is onsite you might be able to learn from those more experienced. Let me tell you, if I had someone working the front desk who asked if 1 day a week they could come in or stay late an extra hour to intern with a coder, the second I had a coding job opening, I would be offering it to that person.
My outlook when hiring is that NO ONE I hire is going to come in knowing everything they need to. I will have to teach them something. So if I already know someone is a good employee (willing to learn, go-getter, team player, which all really can't be taught) and already knows my computer system and staff, I would be very willing to spend the teaching time explaining coding guidelines as they pertain to our office or specialty. It's much better than hiring someone who already has 10 years of experience in the specialty but spends the day gossiping or constantly complaining or unwilling to hear another perspective.
Would you suggest reaching out to companies and asking if I could intern for them, even just sitting with a coder in their practice? I'm really hungry for guidance and want to get my foot in the door, and that hands-on experience would be so helpful.

AAPC even has Project Xtern (under the Software and Services dropdown). Be aware that the list may be sparse or not up to date. But if are willing to do the legwork of looking for a site yourself, there are some additional resources within Project Xtern to provide potential sites.
I definitely support Project Xtern, but for a variety of reasons am unable to currently participate in their program. When my docs were private practice, I did participate. I had a few externs. Most stayed just a few weeks until they found a paid position (even if not actually coding) elsewhere. When we merged with a large hospital system, I was unable to continue taking externs. The logistics of getting that person computer access, security checks, systems training, health clearance, etc. was virtually impossible. Post-covid has also added the complexity of remote, which is not the best way to learn from those more experienced. Possible, but not the best.

Of the 4 coders on my team:
1 started with me as Front Desk, then moved to billing, and just recently passed her CPC
1 worked elsewhere (urgent care) as front desk, then wound care authorizations, hired as CPC-A
1 worked a few places as a medical biller and authorizations, then obtained RHIT.
1 worked as eligibility and benefits, then as a medical biller/coder/auditor, hired as CPC-A.
I started 25+ years ago as a self-taught medical biller myself, along the way also working front desk, insurance credentialing, billing supervisor, medical coder, billing manager, office manager, revenue cycle manager.
Note that not a single one of us started our healthcare career as a coder.

My personal recommendation is to find any position in a medical office/facility if you've never worked for one. Almost all experience in the healthcare industry can be helpful down the road when you are coding. Many people who never worked in healthcare simply don't realize how many administrative and clinical aspects go into revenue cycle. Big plus if that office/facility has anyone onsite who does any type of billing/coding. If so, then ask your employer if it's possible for you to come in early or stay late, or spend your lunch time in that other department. Even if there's not any onsite billing/coding, perhaps you can ask to take on responsibilities within your current position where your coding skills are more relevant. Realize for most people this is a journey, and not everyone has the same path there. Enjoy the steps along the way and soak up that knowledge, even if it's not where you eventually want to wind up.

Good luck and welcome to your journey!!

I agree, don't turn down front desk, auth, AR, medical records, billing, customer service, or any other medical office or revenue cycle job! Especially if they have in-house/on-site coders. I was also a hiring manager and many of our coding team were hired to coding positions from inside and from other rev cycle or clinic positions. I agree with Christine, she always has great advice. I also started over 20 years ago not as a coder, but as a physical therapy aide working with patients. I started helping out in the front office with filing, med records and claims. I worked with the elderly in assisted living and other CNA type roles, worked in PT again, and then had an opportunity to learn the billing/coding side. I eventually managed a small PT clinic and kind of taught myself auth, appointment scheduling, insurance verification, coding, billing, etc. I eventually ended up working in a billing A/R company, self-trained and got my CPC. After all of that, I obtained a coding role. It was all of that other experience that really helped me get that job. I eventually ended up as a rev cycle manager. Now, I work on the auditing side. I think if you talk to a lot of folks you will see this is the path. Not saying someone couldn't get a coding job with CPC-A or being new but it's not always that way.

Unfortunately, I think folks either are mistaken or maybe read into it that they will automatically land a high-paying, remote, high-level coding job as soon as they pass the CPC test. Sadly, that's just not how it works.

I agree, don't turn down front desk, auth, AR, medical records, billing, customer service, or any other medical office or revenue cycle job! Especially if they have in-house/on-site coders. I was also a hiring manager and many of our coding team were hired to coding positions from inside and from other rev cycle or clinic positions. I agree with Christine, she always has great advice. I also started over 20 years ago not as a coder, but as a physical therapy aide working with patients. I started helping out in the front office with filing, med records and claims. I worked with the elderly in assisted living and other CNA type roles, worked in PT again, and then had an opportunity to learn the billing/coding side. I eventually managed a small PT clinic and kind of taught myself auth, appointment scheduling, insurance verification, coding, billing, etc. I eventually ended up working in a billing A/R company, self-trained and got my CPC. After all of that, I obtained a coding role. It was all of that other experience that really helped me get that job. I eventually ended up as a rev cycle manager. Now, I work on the auditing side. I think if you talk to a lot of folks you will see this is the path. Not saying someone couldn't get a coding job with CPC-A or being new but it's not always that way.

Unfortunately, I think folks either are mistaken or maybe read into it that they will automatically land a high-paying, remote, high-level coding job as soon as they pass the CPC test. Sadly, that's just not how it works.
This is really great advice,, I am coming from the therapy world (17 years as an occupational therapist in the hospital setting) and am very open to any type of job that can get me relevant experience for my coding career; however even some of the medical records/billing jobs want previous experience now days. I am not expecting to make the same amount of money I would make as an OT for a CPC job since I am new to this field and I do think there are a lot more jobs out there now that are remote for coders (thanks to the pandemic) since it is a way for companies/health systems to save money since a lot of them lost money during the pandemic and are now facing budget cuts. thanks for all your advice!

This is really great advice,, I am coming from the therapy world (17 years as an occupational therapist in the hospital setting) and am very open to any type of job that can get me relevant experience for my coding career; however even some of the medical records/billing jobs want previous experience now days. I am not expecting to make the same amount of money I would make as an OT for a CPC job since I am new to this field and I do think there are a lot more jobs out there now that are remote for coders (thanks to the pandemic) since it is a way for companies/health systems to save money since a lot of them lost money during the pandemic and are now facing budget cuts. thanks for all your advice!
As an OT, you should also consider roles not on the provider side, but possibly on the payer/medical review side. Worker's Compensation companies especially. Specifically, where you would need clinical expertise to make claims and/or appeal decisions for medical necessity and issues of that nature. It involves coding but requires someone with a clinical degree. Search non-clinical OT or therapy review, etc. You may want to go through an employment agency for placement.

Some examples: https://www.cotiviti.com/careers

Look for words like Utilization Review, Medical Review, Therapy Claims Review, etc. Also, big hospital systems sometimes have claims recovery type roles in the revenue cycle that require review of clinical and other tyle denials where it takes both coding and clinical background.

I'm a new CPC-A who has been job hunting since the end of July with no luck landing a job yet. I know it hasn't been that long since getting my certification, but was also thinking about doing practicode to get my A removed. I'm hoping to get people's honest opinions on it, since I've read a lot of people are frustrated with it. Is it worth it or just a waste of time since it's extremely hard??? Thanks for your help!
Last year I bought the Practicode before I took my exam and wish I hadn’t. I found it discouraging and have given up many times. Just today I began my second year on the job as a coder and have learned more than I would have with the Practicode. I do wish you luck with your job search, hang in there!

Last year I bought the Practicode before I took my exam and wish I hadn’t. I found it discouraging and have given up many times. Just today I began my second year on the job as a coder and have learned more than I would have with the Practicode. I do wish you luck with your job search, hang in there!
Yeah I have absolutely NO intention on wasting my money on Practicode, especially since I can't use it towards experience!

As an OT, you should also consider roles not on the provider side, but possibly on the payer/medical review side. Worker's Compensation companies especially. Specifically, where you would need clinical expertise to make claims and/or appeal decisions for medical necessity and issues of that nature. It involves coding but requires someone with a clinical degree. Search non-clinical OT or therapy review, etc. You may want to go through an employment agency for placement.

Some examples: https://www.cotiviti.com/careers

Look for words like Utilization Review, Medical Review, Therapy Claims Review, etc. Also, big hospital systems sometimes have claims recovery type roles in the revenue cycle that require review of clinical and other tyle denials where it takes both coding and clinical background

Unfortunately most jobs in utilization review want an RN degree, workers comp jobs want YEARS of experience doing workers comp claims. I know the right job is out there, I just have to be patient!