preop ophthalmic muscle measurements- billable?

Stenglein

Networker
Best answers
Many times after the decision for ophthalmic muscle surgery is made, the MD will bring the patient back to do measurements and assure stability to proceed with the surgery. MD is adamant the visit be billed, as a number of months may have passed since decision for surgery. Coding team feels this is a preop visit and is not billable. I am not finding discussion to support either a preop or billable. Does anyone have thoughts on this?

It would depend on how much time has lapsed since decision for surgery and whether or not the doc is doing a full exam or just a sensorimotor. Can you give more detail?

I would say that if it has been a few months between decision for surgery and actual surgery, it would be fine to bill the final visit before the surgery. If it's been less than 30 days between decision for surgery and surgery date, I wouldn't bill for that pre op visit.

Tom Cheezum, OD, CPC, COPC

It would depend on how much time has lapsed since decision for surgery and whether or not the doc is doing a full exam or just a sensorimotor. Can you give more detail?
Typically more than one month has elapsed and the MD is not doing a sensorimotor exam. The physician will do a full exam and take measurements and indicate to proceed with surgery.