Wiki Primary Diagnosis - supporting documentation

momo2

Networker
Best answers
I'm new to inpt coding, I have my CPC but not my CCS. I have a patient who presented to the ED with an acute onset L leg weakness. ED note states L leg weakness in addition to TIA. Patient has a history of 2 remote CVA's walks with a cane. My question is would the admitting dx be a late effect of a CVA and also, the discharge diagnosis states: Acute onset L leg weakness (resolving) and hx of CVA - no significant residual symptoms. No mention of TIA. Condition on discharge: neuro symptoms completely resolved. Would the principal diagnosis be TIA? Any help appreciated.

hello,
I am not an expert. here is my thought: this is ED setting; therefore, it will be ED E&M unless the pt was admitted by the same specialty, then it will become Inpatient E&M. Dx is whatever was found at the discharge- in our case- L leg weakness and hx of CVA. MD didn't link current weakness to the history of CVA; therefore, it's not sequela of the old CVA. It's acute onset, unrelated to history.

hello,
I am not an expert. here is my thought: this is ED setting; therefore, it will be ED E&M unless the pt was admitted by the same specialty, then it will become Inpatient E&M. Dx is whatever was found at the discharge- in our case- L leg weakness and hx of CVA. MD didn't link current weakness to the history of CVA; therefore, it's not sequela of the old CVA. It's acute onset, unrelated to history.
Thank you. I was concerned as the ED note states L leg weakness; TIA and the inpt coder selected TIA as the principle dx. I reviewed the official guidelines I.A.19 regarding code assignment and clinical guidelines and was wondering if just because the attending physician stated "TIA" but didn't bring it into the D/C Summary, would it be appropriate to assign as the principle dx, but my gut says no, especially b/c the D/C summary doesn't include it. Thoughts?

Hi Momo2
I d code it as left side monoplegia dx I69.344 or M63.862 :( and dx Z86.73 for HO of CVA. If he has wheelchair or cane as abling device add dx Z99,89 . Well hope this helps you.
Lady T

Last edited:
I'm new to inpt coding, I have my CPC but not my CCS. I have a patient who presented to the ED with an acute onset L leg weakness. ED note states L leg weakness in addition to TIA. Patient has a history of 2 remote CVA's walks with a cane. My question is would the admitting dx be a late effect of a CVA and also, the discharge diagnosis states: Acute onset L leg weakness (resolving) and hx of CVA - no significant residual symptoms. No mention of TIA. Condition on discharge: neuro symptoms completely resolved. Would the principal diagnosis be TIA? Any help appreciated.
Are you coding the inpatient record or the ED (outpatient)? The emergency department is not inpatient even though they may use the words admit.
Admitting diagnosis and/or principal diagnosis coding is different for inpatient versus outpatient.

Are you coding the inpatient record or the ED (outpatient)? The emergency department is not inpatient even though they may use the words admit.
Admitting diagnosis and/or principal diagnosis coding is different for inpatient versus outpatient.
I'm coding for after the patient presents to the ED, then is admitted as inpatient.