• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • Important Note: We will be performing important server maintenance on 15 July 2020 , during which time this site will be unavailable for approximately 2 hours. If you are in the middle of something critical , please save your work. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Procedure / visit sameday

raidaste

Guru
Best answers
This happens all the time and I've seen different views from alot of people and I'm still second guessing this, so I'm going to try again.

Can I code both the e/m and procedure for this visit:
Pt comes in with knee pain. Doc evaluates, xrays and gives the patient 2 options: 1. steroid med orally or 2. joint injection. Patient decides on joint injection so doc does it.
Is it correct for me to bill 9921x w/ 25 mod and 20610?

syllingk

Expert
Best answers
Since the patient wasn't coming in for a pre arranged procedure and the visit is what determined that they needed the procedure and there was more than one management option I woudl say the visit is definitely billable.

hewitt

Expert
Best answers
I agree. It sounds a though there was "significant, separately identifiable" work done to evaluate the patient's problem. :)