Wiki Prolonged Services code

knperry

Guru
Best answers
Hi!
My provider is contracted with a facility. On 10/7 she did a consult, code 99223, she did a follow-up on 10/8 code 99232. In her notes for 10/8 it says she worked directly with the pt for 30 mins and she counseled the family for 30mins. Can I use code 99358 instead of 99232? If this is not correct how should I code the inpt service plus the counseling?

Thank you all in advance!

If you are billing based on time, you cannot choose a shorter time code to also use the 99358. For inpatient, time spent on the floor or unit caring for patient (not just face to face with patient) are counted. I would code this as 99233 only.

the inpt subsequent code 99233 only accounts for 35 min. That's why I was asking about the prolonged services code. Any feed back?

Last edited:
If the discussion with the family took place while still n the unit where the patient is located and this is documented the yes you can add the 99356 to the 99232 for the additional unit floor time. If the discussion did not take place on the unit then the only other code to use would be the 99358. however many payers do not pay this in addition to the visit level for the same day. you cannot use the 99358 for the direct patient time.