Wiki Prolonged Services - Non face to face

KoBee

Expert
Best answers
Does anyone have any examples aside from what CMS has on when a provider should be using 99358-99359, I would greatly appreciate it :)

We pretty much have only used it for review of records for work comp cases.

I have that understanding as well when done for review of records as long as its not his own but we have a specific provider who does Pituitary stimulation testing and wants to bill for prolonged services because they are assessing the patient during blood work in the office for say about 2 hours. I feel the provider is not using prolonged services the correct way, provider has a misunderstanding what a prolonged service is.

The provider, themself (not someone else) is spending two hours straight with the patient? Or they are being checked on every now and then? Is whatever the provider doing normal for the testing you are doing? If so, then it is likely already included.

The key is whether the provider is giving their attention to that patient (and only that patient) for the amount of time required to bill prolonged service. Time spent doing other tasks cannot be included in the time attributed to this patient's care.