Wiki Prostatectomies

Jessim929

Guru
Best answers
Hi all-

Does anyone have a "Cheat sheet" for the different types of prostatectomies? The TURP and the Greenlight I have down pat, it's the other ones (in the 55840 and up area) that I struggle with every time. I keep ridiculous notes on everything and these are just ones I just can't get a true handle on.

Any help or tips would be most appreciated!!

Simple vs Radical Prostatectomy
Robotic radical prostatectomy
55866 Laparoscopy, surgical prostatectomy, retropubic radical, including nerve sparing, includes robotic assistance, when performed

Robotic radical prostatectomy with lymphadenectomy
55866 Laparoscopy, surgical prostatectomy, retropubic radical, including nerve sparing, includes robotic assistance, when performed

38571 Laparoscopy, surgical; with bilateral total pelvic lymphadenectomy
Or
38572 Laparoscopy, surgical; with bilateral total pelvic lymphadenectomy and peri-aortic lymph node sampling (biopsy), single or multiple

Robotic SIMPLE prostatectomy 53899 (compare to CPT 55821) Unlisted procedure, urinary system
S2900 Surgical techniques requiring use of robotic surgical system (list separately in addition to code for primary procedure

Open radical prostatectomy
Prostatectomy, retropubic radical, with or without nerve sparing;

55840: Open radical prostatectomy with lymphadenectomy

55842: Prostatectomy, retropubic radical, with or without nerve sparing; with lymph node biopsy(s) (limited pelvic lymphadenectomy

55845: Prostatectomy, retropubic radical, with or without nerve sparing; with bilateral pelvic lymphadenectomy, including external iliac, hypogastric, and obturator nodes