Wiki Psych Coding

sbuck328

Networker
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Hello all,

I need some insight on how to code for Psychiatry? When do I use the psych codes vs the E&M codes? Examples below

Psychiatric:
50-year-old single Caucasian female employed residing with family friends was seen
today. Patient is alert oriented x3 cooperative good eye
contact mood described better than before affect reactive normal speech spontaneous flow volume relevant
coherent patient denied any feelings of hopelessness helplessness denied suicidal homicidal ideations or plans
denied auditory visual hallucinations no evidence of acute psychosis paranoia delusion thought disorder
agitation noticed insight and judgment is fair recall 2 or 3 attention concentration is OK memory recent remote
is intact abstract thinking cognition intact denied use of any illicit drugs or alcohol patient claims addition of
Wellbutrin is helping her depression she does have crying spells but they are not bad patient miss her 2 cats
This supportive therapy coping skills relaxation techniques addressed with the patient patient was told that
living situation is more important than taking care of cats, cats are in good hands they are getting their food and
shelter and being taken care of and she can visit them patient agreed.
Diagnoses: Major depressive disorder, recurrent, moderate F33.1 Anxiety disorder, unspecified F41.9

Psychiatric:
40-year-old divorced Caucasian female employed history of bipolar depression anxiety
disorder was seen today. Patient is well-groomed cooperative good
hygiene good eye contact mood described good affect pleasant bright mood congruent speech spontaneous
relevant coherent logical denied any feelings of hopelessness helplessness denied suicidal homicidal ideations or
plans denied auditory visual hallucinations no evidence of acute psychosis paranoia delusion thought disorder
noticed insight and judgment is fair recall 3 of 3 attention concentration is OK memory recent remote is intact
abstract thinking cognition is intact denied use of any illicit drugs or alcohol denies any side effects from
medication patient claims addition of Latuda stabilize her mood is much better no side effects reported. Patient
also mentioned the ex husband passed drug test now patient's children are visiting dad , 16-years-old son and
14 yr old daughter. they go and visit the father because before that he was using drugs and patient was
extremely uncomfortable with it now patient claims the ex-husband passed the drug test and he is allowed to
take children and spend time with him coping skills compliance with the treatment daily life's stressors job
related stress addressed will follow up in 3 months patient blood work is due in may, 2023.
Diagnoses: Bipolar disorder, current episode depressed, moderate F31.32 Anxiety disorder, unspecified F41.9

Thank you so much!

Assuming this is a medical provider these notes read like E&M services. Although therapy is mentioned you would have to look at the guidelines to bill an E&M and add-on therapy code.
"For the purposes of reporting, the medical and psychotherapeutic components of the service may be separately identified as follows:
1.The type and level of E/M service is selected based on medical decision making.
2.Time spent on the activities of the E/M service is not included in the time used for reporting the psychotherapy service. Time may not be used as the basis of E/M code selection and prolonged services may not be reported when psychotherapy with E/M (90833, 90836, 90838) are reported."

Hi SBuck
Using basically mental health use CPT 90791 CPT 90832-90837 but minutes need to be added on med record for day of treatment. Also must do at least 15 minutes to get paid. Also LPC & LCSW can use these codes too since all mental health dx . I d use those behavior mental health CPT codes but no time listed so have to use eval mgnt codes.. If the patient suffered with more medical dx (ie dx E11. 9 I10 G47 I25.20) I d use Eval mgmt CPT codes new vs est patient status. A doctor or psychiatrist can bill both CPT 90791 90832-90837 and Evl MGnt codes just as long as documentation supports it. LPC and LCSW should not bill eval. mgnt codes but only mental health CPT codes..
I hope this data helps you
Lady T

Assuming this is a medical provider these notes read like E&M services. Although therapy is mentioned you would have to look at the guidelines to bill an E&M and add-on therapy code.
"For the purposes of reporting, the medical and psychotherapeutic components of the service may be separately identified as follows:
1.The type and level of E/M service is selected based on medical decision making.
2.Time spent on the activities of the E/M service is not included in the time used for reporting the psychotherapy service. Time may not be used as the basis of E/M code selection and prolonged services may not be reported when psychotherapy with E/M (90833, 90836, 90838) are reported."
Hi! Thank you so much for your response. This is a Psychiatrist, so I'm debating the 90791/90792 vs E&Ms, or do you feel the documentation is not sufficient for the 90791/90792? The physician billed 99214, 90836. 90836 is time based and no time is documented. I'm just confused as to when you determine the difference from 90791 and an E&M since a psychiatrist can bill for either. I appreciate your thoughts!! Thank you!

Last edited:
Hi SBuck
Using basically mental health use CPT 90791 CPT 90832-90837 but minutes need to be added on med record for day of treatment. Also must do at least 15 minutes to get paid. Also LPC & LCSW can use these codes too since all mental health dx . I d use those behavior mental health CPT codes but no time listed so have to use eval mgnt codes.. If the patient suffered with more medical dx (ie dx E11. 9 I10 G47 I25.20) I d use Eval mgmt CPT codes new vs est patient status. A doctor or psychiatrist can bill both CPT 90791 90832-90837 and Evl MGnt codes just as long as documentation supports it. LPC and LCSW should not bill eval. mgnt codes but only mental health CPT codes..
I hope this data helps you
Lady T
Thank you so much for your response. This is a Psychiatrist, so I'm debating the 90791/90792 vs E&Ms, Do you feel the documentation above is sufficient to support the 90791/90792? The physician billed 99214, 90836, but since no time is documented I can't code for the 90836, so should I use the 90791/90792 or the E&M? And if I use the E&M, does the documentation support a 99214? I don't know how to determine. I'm so confused LOL. I appreciate your thoughts!! Thank you!

Hi
Since no time bill for CPT 99214 per guidelines in CPT manual.
Lady T
Hi Lady T!! Thank you so much for all your help! I appreciate it so much! :giggle: How did you determine moderate complexity was met? I don't see moderate MDM documented. Is there a different way you determine the complexity for psych? I see 2 stable chronic conditions, however, in the first chart note, there is no data to be ordered or reviewed, he mentions the patient doing well on Wellbutrin but doesn't mention the dosage, refills, etc., In the second note, he mentions medication, again no details, and indicates patient is due for BW but doesn't specify what, if anything, was ordered. Can these cases justify a 99214 per the documentation? Or is the diagnosis of the depression being moderate enough to support moderate complexity? I'm so sorry, I'm just trying so hard to understand and I am so appreciative for your help and patience!

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your response. This is a Psychiatrist, so I'm debating the 90791/90792 vs E&Ms, Do you feel the documentation above is sufficient to support the 90791/90792? The physician billed 99214, 90836, but since no time is documented I can't code for the 90836, so should I use the 90791/90792 or the E&M? And if I use the E&M, does the documentation support a 99214? I don't know how to determine. I'm so confused LOL. I appreciate your thoughts!! Thank you!
Hello, at one point (prior to the E&M updates in 2021) a 90792 should follow the rules for a 99215: in other words a Comprehensive History, Comprehensive Exam, and Assessment and Treatment Plan. The history and exam were to follow the 97 E&M specialty guidelines for psychiatry and, if not met, it should be coded for whatever E&M level was met. I have not seen any updates to guidance for the 90791/90792 after the E&M guidelines were changed in 2021 so I still follow this. In your case, these should be E&M visits based on MDM since no time is documented.

Hello, at one point (prior to the E&M updates in 2021) a 90792 should follow the rules for a 99215: in other words a Comprehensive History, Comprehensive Exam, and Assessment and Treatment Plan. The history and exam were to follow the 97 E&M specialty guidelines for psychiatry and, if not met, it should be coded for whatever E&M level was met. I have not seen any updates to guidance for the 90791/90792 after the E&M guidelines were changed in 2021 so I still follow this. In your case, these should be E&M visits based on MDM since no time is documented.
Hi!! Thank you so much for all your help! I appreciate it so much! Can these cases justify a 99214 per the documentation? I don't see moderate MDM documented. I'm so sorry, I'm just trying so hard to understand and I am so appreciative for your help and patience!