Wiki PT Orders - Our physician

bethb

Guru
Best answers
Our physician, a PCP, reviews and signs off on physicial therapy orders for patients. He also does this for home health certifications and plans of care, in which we can bill the patient's insurance company.

He is asking if we can do the same for his reviewing and signing off on physical therapy orders. I have searched but I cannot find anything conclusive. My guess is that he cannot bill the insurance for reviewing of PT orders.

Can anyone please help me with this?

Thank you,
Beth B., CPC

Same question

I am researching the same question for an internal medicine practice. The doctor signs off on a patients physical therapy plan of care. I am not sure if I can bill for this service. I think this would be included in the e/m service? or would it be an additional service and which cpt would be used?

Any help would be appriciated :)

I work in a PT clinic and have never heard of a referfing physician being able to bill for his time in reviewing orders. As far as I'm aware this is part of the physicians duties so they can not bill in addition for their time in reviewing notes, orders etc, there is no CPT code for this. I know quite a few that would love to be able to do so as well!