Wiki QS and P modifiers...and Z51.81

lr09050828@gmail.com

Contributor
Best answers
I was wondering is a QS modifier really needed if its info only and no bearing on payment. And if P1-P3 since Medicare and others like BCBS NJ don't pay do you really need to put the modifier in the charge.
Now the big argument is for MAC anesthesia do you really need to put Z51.81. I thought Z51.81 was to monitored certain drugs that patients are taking over a longer amount of time. Not for the use of propofol. Any input would help.

Z51.81 is an encounter for drug level monitoring. You would not use this code when coding an anesthesia encounter.

P1-P2 are for informational purposes only. P3 & higher pay more if insurance is commercial. Physical Status is not recognized by MCR, but this information should be recorded with the co-morbidities justifying P3 & higher for a complete record.

Thank you....that's what I thought about Z51.81 but someone who was not a coder was telling me otherwise. But it didn't feel right. I did P3 tracking for BCBS, and Aetna in NJ but they didn't pay anything higher than our contracted rates. So what your telling me P3 should be put in for a complete record. And should you still put P1-P2 since its informational?...Thank you again