Wiki quadriceps fat pad

radar

New
Best answers
I'm having trouble finding a code for arthroscopic excision of the quadriceps fat pad?
Does anybody have any suggestion.

I am going to assume that by "Quadriceps fat pad" you are really talking about the "Infrapatellar Fat Pad," which is located deep to (behind) the Patellar Tendon and below the Patella in the front of the joint. Arthroscopic removal of this alone is very rare unless it is the treatment of Hoffa's Disease (Inflammation/Hypertrophy with swelling and tenderness of it). If that was the only diagnosis treated arthroscopically, then Unlisted Procedure might be correct, but more correctly would come under Limited Synovectomy (29875). However, most of the time that the Infrapatellar Fat Pad is removed/debrided is to aid visualization of the joint for whatever else is being treated intra-articularly, but/and it may also be a portion of an Arthroscopic Synovectomy (Limited or Extensive) for some synovial disease/disorder. Either way, the Fat Pad Debridement or resection would be an integral part of the Synovectomy &/or the other Arthroscopic procedure done. To try to code and charge for it when it is a part of another arthroscopic procedure would be "unbundling."

I hope this helps.

Respectfully submitted, Alan Pechacek, M.D.
icd10orthocoder.com

I am going to assume that by "Quadriceps fat pad" you are really talking about the "Infrapatellar Fat Pad," which is located deep to (behind) the Patellar Tendon and below the Patella in the front of the joint. Arthroscopic removal of this alone is very rare unless it is the treatment of Hoffa's Disease (Inflammation/Hypertrophy with swelling and tenderness of it). If that was the only diagnosis treated arthroscopically, then Unlisted Procedure might be correct, but more correctly would come under Limited Synovectomy (29875). However, most of the time that the Infrapatellar Fat Pad is removed/debrided is to aid visualization of the joint for whatever else is being treated intra-articularly, but/and it may also be a portion of an Arthroscopic Synovectomy (Limited or Extensive) for some synovial disease/disorder. Either way, the Fat Pad Debridement or resection would be an integral part of the Synovectomy &/or the other Arthroscopic procedure done. To try to code and charge for it when it is a part of another arthroscopic procedure would be "unbundling."

I hope this helps.

Respectfully submitted, Alan Pechacek, M.D.
icd10orthocoder.com
I know this is an old thread but can you help me figure out what code to compare this procedure to when I use the unlisted code?