• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

question on Colonoscopy coding

Colliemom

Expert
Best answers
I haven't coded for GI for a little while now, but is this correct?

https://www.supercoder.com/my-ask-an-expert/topic/biopsy-by-snare-ablation-and-emr

Specifically the part where Supercoder advises the person that "45385 will be coded twice with one of them appended with modifier XS in order to indicate two seperate lesions removed from same site (i.e. proximal ascending colon)."

I thought if you removed two separate lesions by the same method (snare or biopsy) that you could only bill the code once? Has this changed?

blckjnpr

Networker
Best answers
No, Supercoder is incorrect and you have it right. The description for 45385 shows (s) after tumor/polyp/lesion denoting one or more, so this code would only be billed once even if 2 separate lesions are removed by snare.

Colliemom

Expert
Best answers
Thank you, I have caught similar errors on their site, but since I haven't done any endoscopy coding in a while I thought I might have missed something.

jfolz

Networker
Best answers
you are right

That is correct, they are mistaken. 45385 or 45380 can only be coded once per encounter. (But they can be coded together if both methods of removal are used on two distinct and separate lesions at separate locations.)