Wiki Question regarding SBIRT Coding and Reimbursement for FQHC's & other practices

BUDO311

Contributor
Best answers
Hey Coders & auditors, I have question about SBIRT screening's particularly Negative SBIRT screenings. The Provider sees patients that are referred to her (in-house) undergoes an SBIRT screening utilizing DAST, AUDIT, and other instruments of screening. Most of these screening's end up as being Negative needing no intervention. The confusion is how should this be coded? As I understand it 99408 and 99409 can only be coded in the instance when intervention is needed. I'm not really clear as to how to handle this, the encounters are consisting only of this screening, and I'm not sure if this can qualify as a EM visit. SBIRT source material seems to indicate that Negative SBIRT screenings are included in the EM leveling selection leading me to believe I can bill for the encounter. Therefore, has anyone come across these instances in dealing with SBIRT screenings and how to bill them? other helpful information would be appreciated as well, Thanks again,.