Wiki Question

dshalkowski

Best answers
I am a pediatric nurse practitioner.
I would like to work as a remote coder.
I am hesitant to take classes towards certification as a coder due to the concern I will not be able to find a job.

Denise

Hello Denise,

In my personal opinion, right now the coding and billing industry has been expanding. When I graduated in 2013, it seemed like there wasnt alot out there, but now I keep getting offers and I keep seeing openings frequently. Now if we talk about remote positions, there is even more to it. I know most of the places tend to request for some coding experience so they know you are able to work/code on your own without any assistance if possible, so that might be the challenging part at first. With your NP credentials and experience, i personally believe you shouldn't have a problem finding a job remotely, thats my opinion.

It seems like most job listings I see for CDI-related positions either prefer or require clinical experience and a current nursing license. You could have a lot of options with your background, if that's something you're interested in.

I graduated my program and certified in Dec 2017, went on maternity leave and then I got hired on as an outpatient coder for a hospital May 2018. By April 2019 I was home full time! Each place has requirement on how and when you go home but being a nurse makes the coding a lot easier!