Wiki Question

It's an interesting question, but I think the answer will ultimately depend on the details and fine print of the legislation that makes this happen.
'Universal health care', by itself, only means that everyone would have access to health care - it's not really a system for healthcare, but rather a goal of it. This goal could conceivably be achieved using our current system, i.e. by subsidizing the existing system in a way that allowed everyone to have access. In this scenario, we likely wouldn't see a huge change in the medical coding field. But if the goal is going to be achieved through more radical changes, such as moving to a single payer system, or a move to a nationalization of the healthcare industry along the lines of what's done in some other countries, this would naturally also involve major changes to the coding field, just as it would to all other sectors of the industry.

So it's hard to say what the future of coding until we actually see what those changes are in writing. In my opinion, however, due to the political climate and the pressures than can be applied to the legal system by groups that have a vested interest in preserving the existing system, major changes that disrupt our current system substantially have a very low probably of success and aren't something that we're likely to see any time soon, if ever.

Having lived in different countries, and have experienced both types of health care systems (universal vs. insurance driven) I have seen the benefits and drawbacks of each. Personally, I feel we as a country need to keep moving towards achieving an universal healthcare system, however we should do this very carefully and step-by-step to ensure viability. Shifting to a fully universal healthcare system in this country would be such a drastic change, that we could not do this yet. Many bills and laws would have to be enacted, many funds and enough money (which means significant increase in taxes) will need to be set in motion to enable the success of such a system overhaul. I see Universal Healthcare as a beefed up nationwide Medicaid system, but with more restrictions and limitations. While everyone would be covered in term of basic healthcare driven by medical necessity, this system is far from perfect, but again, perhaps moving towards this goal to cover every American is a good move. However since there are so many moving parts and entities that want to preserve our current status quo, we would need a significant entity to push for this change.

That being said, I think it is possible and definitely doable if enough people want the change, and if the legislation and funding are both set in order and properly governed. Coding would still be needed, however most likely not in the same magnitude as we see today. I could still see the need for Quality measures and non-direct payments to be audited and reported to CMS (or another overseeing universal health government entity).

Definitely an interesting thought and not a bad discussion to have. I would be interested to know of other people's opinion on this matter. We are soon moving into the 2020 political campaign season, so to be properly informed is always good.