Wiki R09.89-Other specified symptoms and signs involving the circulatory and respiratory systems-question

Mnmark442

Networker
Best answers
Hi everyone,

If I have a patient who is having an abdominal duplex (93978) and they do not meet criteria for the test (no diagnosis that are listed on the MEDICARE LCD list), but have a range of other cardiac issues (such as hyperlipidemia, mitral regurgitation) can the R09.89 be used? I was guided to use this code as it can encompass "any array" of cardiovascular symptoms, however when I researched the code I have found the following and find this to be a bit conflicting:

(https://www.icd10data.com/ICD10CM/Codes/R00-R99/R00-R09/R09-/R09.89)
Applicable To
  • Bruit (arterial)
  • Abnormal chest percussion
  • Feeling of foreign body in throat
  • Friction sounds in chest
  • Chest tympany
  • Choking sensation
  • Rales
  • Weak pulse
Approximate Synonyms
  • Abdominal bruit
  • Abdominal bruit (abnormal sound)
  • Abnormal chest sounds
  • Bruit
  • Bruit (abnormal sound)
  • Cardiovascular symptom
  • Cardiovascular symptoms
  • Carotid bruit
  • Carotid bruit (abnormal sound)
  • Choking sensation
  • Globus and/or choking sensation
  • Globus or choking sensation
  • Rales
  • Respiratory crackles
Any information on this issue is greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance.

Thank you,
Michelle

You can't just use this code unless your provider's documentation supports it. You'll need to look at the reasons for which the provider ordered this test. If one of those documented symptoms or conditions that led to the need for the test maps to code R09.89 per ICD-10 guidelines, then it's appropriate to assign that code. But otherwise, you can't assign it just based on the fact that the patient has a 'range of cardiac issues' or may have had a particular condition at some point in their history.