Wiki Radiation Oncology CPT 77263

Best answers
Hi All,

I have a physician who believes that for a patient receiving brachytherapy you can charge CPT 77263 at each brachytherapy visit. I am not seeing any information that this can be done. 77263 is for complex therapeutic radiology treatment planning. I believe that this can be charged anytime there is a change in the treatment planning, not each time a brachytherapy session is performed.

Is there any new information that states a new treatment planning can be charged at each brachytherapy visit? If so, can you give me any information on a website? Or, if not can you advise on how I can explain to the doctor that he cannot code this out?

Any help would be appreciated!

Denise Turner, CPC

I am new to Oncology Coding and Have lots of Questions needing help. I truly believe my provider is not documenting correctly for me to Identify the service provided and having a Hard time with the J-code billing. To confirm I have patient who rcvd 720 mg of J9173
HCPCS for Inj., durvalumab, 10 mg according to Note.. She billed 720 Units and I have been changing to 72 Units. Please advise

Hi All,

I have a physician who believes that for a patient receiving brachytherapy you can charge CPT 77263 at each brachytherapy visit. I am not seeing any information that this can be done. 77263 is for complex therapeutic radiology treatment planning. I believe that this can be charged anytime there is a change in the treatment planning, not each time a brachytherapy session is performed.

Is there any new information that states a new treatment planning can be charged at each brachytherapy visit? If so, can you give me any information on a website? Or, if not can you advise on how I can explain to the doctor that he cannot code this out?

Any help would be appreciated!

Denise Turner, CPC

77263: Once per course of treatment - it's a part of the planning. Now if there is a big change in volume or something of that nature which necessitates another simulation and planning, then you could bill another. Not otherwise though.

I am new to Oncology Coding and Have lots of Questions needing help. I truly believe my provider is not documenting correctly for me to Identify the service provided and having a Hard time with the J-code billing. To confirm I have patient who rcvd 720 mg of J9173
HCPCS for Inj., durvalumab, 10 mg according to Note.. She billed 720 Units and I have been changing to 72 Units. Please advise
How many milligrams were actually administered? If 720, then yes 72 units. Providers sometimes get the dosing units and billing units confused. You would need to explain that billing has a different unit than the unit of measurement.