Wiki Radiology coding question -code for the navicular view

dyates

Best answers
I'm looking for written information on how to bill for an additional view of a wrist. we code 73110 for min of 3 views I'm telling my Dr's no other code for the navicular view. Is this correct and does anyone have this in writing?

Thanks!

Diana

I'm looking for written information on how to bill for an additional view of a wrist. we code 73110 for min of 3 views I'm telling my Dr's no other code for the navicular view. Is this correct and does anyone have this in writing?

Thanks!

Diana

CPT Assistant, March 1997 and November 2006 both have a Q & A concerning extra wrist views. (73110 is "minimum")
CMS NCCI Policy Manual, chapter 9, section C.1 "The CPT descriptors for many of these services refer to a "minimum" number of views. If more than the minimum number specified is necessary and no other specific CPT code is available, only that service should be reported." and C.2 "CPT code descriptors that specify a minimum number of views include additional views if there is no more comprehensive code specifically including the additional views. For example, if three views of the shoulder are obtained, CPT code 73030 (Radiologic examination, shoulder; complete, minimum of two views) with one unit of service should be reported rather than CPT code 73020 (Radiologic examination, shoulder; one view) plus CPT code 73030.