Wiki Reboa

kalpana

Networker
Best answers
Please advise Cpt

1.REBOA device to occlude the aorta in trauma patients CPT for this procedure

2.Intraoperative to occlude the aorta as part of a laparotomy to control/repair bleeding- do we bill only 49000

Thanks You
Alpana

Hi, the recommended coding for the REBOA catheter is CPT 37244 with modifier 52. Modifier 52 is currently recommended since the REBOA is a temporary occlusion device and not a permanent occlusion device which is what is described by CPT 37244.

I hope that helps!

Kim
www.codingmastery.com

37244 is a code intended for interventional radiology embolization of bleeding vessels.

bundled into this are all the imaging and guidance techniques.
So for Trauma physician 37244-52, his work is to stop the aorta bleeding.
Please advise.
Thanks

Can you post your note minus patient information? Dr. Z at Z Health Publishing who is a pretty reliable source for coding devices like a REBOA had recommended 37244.52 in a recent Q&A. I am happy to look at your note though and compare it to the example he posted about to ensure the scenarios are similar.

Thanks
Kim

REBOA to occlude the aorta in trauma patients , is the general question by physician .37244, once again, is an interventional radiology/vascular code that includes all image guidance and is permanent
They want to know what CPT code to use.
Appreciate your help. Thank you

Hi sorry for the delayed response. I just saw your most recent post. My opinion is that I would code a REBOA catheter with CPT 37244 with modifier 52. I do not feel an unlisted is needed for this procedure. As I previously indicated, Dr. Z who is familiar with these procedures and is a consultant advised 37244 with modifier 52 on his Q&A blog (due to copyright I cannot directly copy/paste). The manufacturer of REBOA is also advising 37244. I also found another thread here on the AAPC forum from a couple of years ago over in the ED/trauma forum where coders handling these cases for trauma surgeons also advised CPT 37244.

I audit vascular surgery records so I'm familiar with the traditional use of CPT 37244. This procedure is usually used by vascular surgeons or IVR physicians to report transcatheter placement of a permanent occlusion device (like a coil) to control bleeding. The code includes the radiology S&I for the procedure. The reason Dr. Z recommends CPT 37244 with modifier 52 for the REBOA is that it is an occlusion device for hemorrhage control inserted into the blood vessel but it doesn't involve all of the angiogram work typical of this code and a permanent implant is not left in place (so we are reducing the service with modifier 52 to represent that the full scope of what is described by this code was not performed but that it is similar enough to not warrant use of an unlisted code).

I hope that explanation helps a bit more. You are certainly free to report with an unlisted if you feel that is a better fit. I wanted to share my thoughts though and the sources that are leading me to that conclusion.

Thanks
Kim
www.codingmastery.com