Wiki Reduction of Dislocation Requiring Sedation

Best answers
ED physician performed a closed reduction of a shoulder dislocation. Patient was sedated. Is 23655 the appropriate CPT code for this scenario? "With anesthesia" is confusing me, and I can't find any information that states whether this includes sedation or if it's just general anesthesia

Hello:
Usually when there is a Shoulder dislocation w/ reduction performed in the E/R with Sedation.. Does the Sedation note have meds listed {IV }and start & stop time documented?

Hi-
I currently have a similar scenario. Shoulder reduction in the ED. CRNA present. MAC /TIVA (Total Intravenous Anesthesia) performed, 10 minutes. It is confusing. I had read (probably here) that 23655 could only be used in the OR.
Thanks

What you describe is known as Conscious Sedation, Moderate Sedation, or Monitored Anesthesia Care. Look in CPT under Sedation - there's a whole section and a chart with codes.
There is a sentence in the Anesthesia section of CPT that says "Inductions of anesthesia in the operating room (or equivalent area)" and they might be talking about endoscopy rooms or ER. I don't know what is meant by "equivalent area", but I don't think the 20000 series is what you're looking for.

What you describe is known as Conscious Sedation, Moderate Sedation, or Monitored Anesthesia Care. Look in CPT under Sedation - there's a whole section and a chart with codes.
There is a sentence in the Anesthesia section of CPT that says "Inductions of anesthesia in the operating room (or equivalent area)" and they might be talking about endoscopy rooms or ER. I don't know what is meant by "equivalent area", but I don't think the 20000 series is what you're looking for.
Thanks for the information