Wiki Remote Coding: How To Approach In Interviews

CoderKim2019

Best answers
I am interested in working as a remote coder after earning my certification next year. Two questions: are CPC-A's ever allowed to code remotely or do we have to work in office for the duration of our apprenticeship? Ideally I want to be hired by a practice that offers that as option for the future, so when is the most appropriate time to convey that objective: on my resume/cover letter or in the interview?

Whether or not a coder is allowed to work remotely is entirely up to each organization, and in my experience will depend not on the certification or apprenticeship status rather than on the coder being able to meet the organization's production and quality standards. If you have a fair amount of experience going in as an apprentice and/or learn very quickly, and depending on the job and your work assignments, then it may be easy to move quickly to remote coding. If on the other hand, your experience is limited to having studied coding and taken the test, and you are brand new to a coding production environment, then a more extended time when you can work on site and be mentored will be important to your success. If you are pushed to remote coding too early and don't have ready access to regular assistance, it can be a very difficult and stressful experience.

As far as how to address this with a potential employer, I would suggest that you not make remote coding a deal-breaker for you as far as a new job opportunity. From what I see on the forum here, new coders with limited experience often have challenges getting to that first coding job, and if you make this a requirement, you will limit your opportunities. It is fine to inquire with the employer about whether or not they offer remote coding and definitely something to consider in researching your opportunities. But I would be cautious about how you express this to a prospective employer, because if they happen to not offer that, you wouldn't want to give the impression that you are more interested in getting to remote coding than in working for them, as they may be less inclined to invest in hiring and training you if they think that you may just take that experience and go elsewhere.

Hope this may help some and good luck!