Wiki Removal Fibroid within Ovary 58661

SALAZAS

New
Best answers
looking for help. The provider removed Rt ovary and notates 2 small fibroids within the ovary. CPT 58661 "lap" for the oophorectomy. Can I also bill 58545 for the fibroid or not since it was within the ovary?

I have not checked your codes, but if he did not remove a fibroid by itself, but it was within the ovary, then he did not remove the fibroid, he removed the ovary. The answer is no, not billable for fibroid removal.

I have not checked your codes, but if he did not remove a fibroid by itself, but it was within the ovary, then he did not remove the fibroid, he removed the ovary. The answer is no, not billable for fibroid removal.
Thank you, that is my thought as well but needed another opinion in case the provider questions why I did not code/bill for 58558.

I'm certainly not a doctor, but I don't think fibroids can be in the ovaries. They can be on the various surfaces of the uterus (both interior and exterior) and originate in muscle. Maybe it was an ovarian fibroma (benign cyst)? If the note states fibroid in the ovary, there is a typo or transcription error somewhere.

Regardless, you cannot bill uterine fibroid removal since that is not what the physician did. And as Sharon answered, something contained in the ovary you removed cannot be billed separately.