Wiki Removal of Foreign Body - FB from patient's finger

calicoder10

Best answers
Doctor removed a FB from patient's finger by shaving off the skin w/ a scalpel, no incision done. Since no incision was made 10120 can't be reported -correct??

Thanks,
carmenb

Not enough information to answer. Depends upon what was meant by "shaving".

Shaving could mean incising and removing a thin strip off the skin. If the provider cut and removed a strip of skin, then a 10120 would be appropriate.

On the other hand, shaving could have been running the edge of a scalpel across the FB to loosen it from the skin without actually cutting the skin (similar to using a razor on a beard). In this case, there is no incision and the procedure would not qualify for a 10120.

Removal of Foreign Body

Here is the procedure note:

"I explained the procedure, discussed the alternative, discussed the risk, and answered all questions. I anesthetized the area with a digital block of 7ml of 1% lidocaine w/out epinephrine. Excellent anesthesia was obtained. I scraped the upper layer/dead skin lay with #15 scalpel at the entrance site and removed the dried outer layers of skin. The organic FB cam out intact with the shaved biopsy. I then explored the wound and found no visualized, palpated or patient perception of FB. No evidence of abscess or cellulitis. Patient tolerated the procedure well w/out complications"

Thanks,
carmenb

No mention of incision, just scraping (which seems to be synonymous with shaving in this case). I would not code that as a 10120.

If the provider in fact made an incision, the provider would have to clarify with something like this: "Subsequent to scraping I incised and removed a thin layer of tissue that included the foreign body."

In the absence of 10120, I would code the digital block 64550. So there's still a procedure code to be had.