Wiki Removal of Nexplanon in subcutaneous tissue

cubbiecatz

Networker
Best answers
Hello! The provider tried to remove in the office and could not as it was to deep. The hospital procedure note states a 1 CM incision was made in the skin. The Nexplanon was palpable but 1cm deep in the subcu tissue. The skin incision was slightly enlarged and dissection was carried out down to the Nexplanon which was grasped with a hemostat and removed intact. The subcutaneous tissue was closed with interrupted 2-0 vicryl. Skin was closed with subcuticular 3-0 monocryl.

Would you bill this with 10121?
11982 mentions 20701, but that is for subfascial.

Thank you,

Cathy Satkus, CPC, COBGC
Tulsa
Saint Francis Health System

Since CPT says "deep, eg subfasical, intramedullary, or intra-articular" I would say that subcut would therefore be included in 11982. If the provider documents extra work, time, etc you could add a 22 mod but I would still use 11982

Since CPT says "deep, eg subfasical, intramedullary, or intra-articular" I would say that subcut would therefore be included in 11982. If the provider documents extra work, time, etc you could add a 22 mod but I would still use 11982
I keep going back and forth on that because the procedure description for 11982 only mentions suture of the skin incision while my provider closed the subcutaneous tissue, then the skin incision.
While researching I found some other discussions that mentioned this code but nothing really definitive.