Wiki Removal Urolift Clips

Best answers
We have a patient that the urolift procedure did not work well for, and he would like to have the clips removed. This is the first time since we started doing the procedure that this will be done, and we're stumped on what code to use. The closest we've been able to get is 52310. Has anyone had experience with billing for removal of the clips?

I'm curious to this as well. My colleague was supposed to ask the Urolift people at the AUA conference this past weekend. I'll have to ask her if she did.

My colleague DID ask the Urolift reps about clip removal - it is apparently "bundled" into the insertions. There is no actual code for it.

I had also had her ask about modifiers for failed clips, and there's none of that either.

I have also heard that there is no code for it, but I wonder why the CPT book states underneath code 52442 "to report removal of implants use 52310"? Confusing.

Our Urolift rep. told us to use 52310 for the removal. Just an FYI the 52310 is bundled into other procedures if you are performing them the same day.

My colleague DID ask the Urolift reps about clip removal - it is apparently "bundled" into the insertions. There is no actual code for it.

I had also had her ask about modifiers for failed clips, and there's none of that either.
Curious.... I am an auditor for a Urology practice and just came across a procedure note that stated a total of 6 implants were inserted, however the provider was unable to locate visually 1 of the implants. He documented that the implant failed to seat correctly. Did you happen to discuss how to bill for failed clips?
I feel the procedure was completed and services should be billable for the 6 implants, however i cannot find any clarification in writing. I did reach out to the vender and they advised that it would still be billable as the implant came into contact with the patient.
I didn't feel like modifier 52 was appropriate as it doesn't accurately describe the situation and the procedure was completed in its entirety.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!
Angie

That's exactly what I was told - apparently if they fire the implant gun, it's billable. BUT, a lot of insurances are getting savvy to that and want to see the notes and sometimes deny the misfires.