Wiki repair retinal detactment

Emmy1260

Best answers
:confused:I don't normally code optical procedures, so I'm looking for some guidance on this one. OP note is as follows, with some minor edits for standard info.

Dx: vitreous hemorrhage and tractional deep retinal detachment, left eye (H43.12/H33.42)

Procedure: Pars plana vitrectomy, endolaser, and repair of retinal detachment of left eye with membrane p.o. of the left eye.

A primed Alcon Accurus posterior vitrectomy machine was used to perform complete posterior vitrectomy. (details of vitrectomy)... a fiber optic light was used and automated vitrectomy. Encountered were numerous membranes, old and new blood and layers of neovascular tissue. All were dissected and traction released from the retina to return to its normal anatomic position. Large sub and inter retinal deposited cholesterol were encountered in and around the macula. The macular detachment was repaired by sectioning the membranes and releasing traction. Old and new blood were removed followed by endolaser and panretinal configuration. At the end of the case, the vitreous was clear and retina was reattached. The intraocular pressure was felt to be normotensive. (instruments removed) a paracentesis incision was made through clear cornea and dilated vigamox was instilled into the anterior chamber.

I came up with 67036 for the vitrectomy, but am lost on the rest. The physician order for service lists 66984, but that's for cataract removal with lens insertion.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Last edited:
Repair complex retinal detachment

As per the documentation the correct code would be 67113 for repair of retinal detachment. As the report clearly states that provider performed the sectioning of membranes and worked on traction. Vitrectomy is inclusive component of this code. So you can take 67113.:)