Wiki Retail Sales to Newly Certified Professional Coder - Apprentice

Best answers
When I first set out to achieve my CPC-A from the American Academy of Professional Coders I knew finding employment was going to be challenging coming from a background in retail sales. I have applied to 10-12 employers in the last month for jobs I am both under and over qualified for and have not heard back from anyone yet but I refuse to be discouraged. I am confident a job is out there. I’ve done everything I can think of to appeal to prospective employers including [1] highlighting transferable skills, and relevant educational background information, and [2] including a tailored cover letter. I have even reached out to my states employment agency for help in my job transition.

Some transferable skills/relevant educational experience I highlight in my resume which might appeal to prospective employers include:
  • an undergraduate certificate in Medical Records from the University of Phoenix in which I achieved a 4 .0 GPA.
  • the achievement of my CPC-A from the American Academy of Professional Coders.
  • a familiarity and comfort working with federal, state, and local regulations (eg. labor laws) as HR personnel in my current position
  • knowledge of Microsoft software (Excel, Power-point,Word, etc.) and Google Suite
  • my 2 years customer service experience as a member of leadership for my stores Service and Engagement team
  • my knowledge of CPT, HCPCS-II, and ICD-10 CM with respect to outpatient coding.
I am open to suggestions so as too appeal to more perspective employers. I have even looked into possible internships/internship to gain more experience in the field but many would require me to relocate or are unpaid and I cannot afford these options at this time (I live in the CT area). Any suggestions?

It sounds to me like you are already taking the right steps. Highlighting relevant skills and education, customized cover letter. Try not to get discouraged. Remember that many employers are receiving HUNDREDS of applications for a single position. If you've only applied to 10-12 so far, not being contacted yet would not be concerning to me. I would add to be willing to take related positions in a healthcare or insurance organization - front desk, customer service, medical billing, etc. Skills you learn in those positions will only provide depth to your coding knowledge.

Just make sure you have ZERO typos and keep applying!
Good luck!!