Wiki RN notes performs prep/Dr documents outcome only-two separate notes

maryir

Networker
Best answers
I posted below thread in the Urology Forum (received one reply which is underlined) but now I believe it could be a compliance question. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Can a physician charge for a cystoscopy (CPT 52000) when a RN performs the procedure with the physician in attendance?

Theoretically, yes, if the procedure is within the scope of practice of the RN's license and all of the 'incident to' requirements have been met. However, I seriously doubt that is the case - are you sure this is what the RN performed? I have never heard of this procedure performed by an RN. This is a diagnostic procedure and an RN is not qualified to make a medical diagnosis. The RN may assist and perform parts of the procedure, if they are properly licensed and trained, but only a physician can perform the diagnostic portion.

Here's the RN note - but after further review, I believe the RN is performing the prep while the Dr might be performing the Cysto (only says Dr present for procedure). The Dr has a separate note but it's only documenting the results of the procedure. Can the two together be sufficient documentation to charge or is the documentation required to be under one note, signed and attested by the physician?
Patient here for cystoscopy.
Procedure instructions were reviewed with patient and verbalized understanding.
Pt signed the consent.
Allergies and medications were reviewed.
500 mg of Keflex was given as prophylaxis, pt was supine on the exam table and prepped in standard sterile fashion.
Betadine prep prior to lidocaine 11 mL glydo into the urethra, penile clamp applied.
0.9% NaCl used for irrigation fluid.
Dr. and Dr. present for the procedure using a flexible scope #2229810 processed in Sterrad cycle #8666.
Pt tolerated procedure well, AVS was provided.