Wiki robot-assisted sacrocolpopexy code?

jek521

Networker
Best answers
To repair a cystocele, physician performs laparoscopic colpopexy using a surgical robot. Several ports were created for the robotic arms & scope, then the abdomen was insufflated with CO2. The colpopexy is then performed.

Is this 57280 because of the abdominal approach? CPT doesn't state "open abdominal," although CPT Reference of Clinical Examples, 2nd edition, seems to indicate that the procedure is performed through a single abdominal incision. Should I use mod-52 because of the robotic-assist & approach?

Thanks for your thoughts!!
Jen

First of all the approach is "laparoscopic" so you would not use a CPT with an abdominal approach. Robotic is more difficult so in my opinion I would never use a reduced modifier -52. I think with robotics the physician is doing more than the code describes, CPT 57425 is for a laparoscopic colpopexy.

A robotic sacrocolpopexy is coded as 57425 with S2900 - the S2900 is only reimbursed by certain payors. The 57425 is 100% correct for the procedure itself (laparoscopic approach). The S2900 denotes it was robotic. If a cystoscopy was performed it cannot be billed separately.