Wiki Routine prenatal visit Z33.1 or Z34.83

dbolivar1

Networker
Best answers
Hello,

Patient came in for routine outpatient prenatal visit, with no complication. Patient is 37 weeks and this is second pregnancy. Provider used Z33.1. Will this be correct? Doesn't provider have to use Z34.83. Can these be billed together? Please advise

Hello, Z33.1 pregnancy state, incidental would not be correct for a routine prenatal visit. Routine prenatal visits for normal pregnancy should be linked to ICD10 code from Z34.XX area, so in the case you are stating above, Z34.83 would be correct and only ICD10 code needed.

Hello, Z33.1 pregnancy state, incidental would not be correct for a routine prenatal visit. Routine prenatal visits for normal pregnancy should be linked to ICD10 code from Z34.XX area, so in the case you are stating above, Z34.83 would be correct and only ICD10 code needed.
Thank you!

When would it be appropriate to use code Z33.1?

Thank you!

When would it be appropriate to use code Z33.1?
I was taught by our coding support dept it would be appropriate to use Z33.1 if provider was seeing a patient for another issue (like a GYN complaint and not suspected pregnancy) and pregnancy was documented as an incidental finding. I will try to find some examples and add to post.

I was taught by our coding support dept it would be appropriate to use Z33.1 if provider was seeing a patient for another issue (like a GYN complaint and not suspected pregnancy) and pregnancy was documented as an incidental finding. I will try to find some examples and add to post.
Another example would be, reason for visit is in no way complicating the pregnancy or related to pregnancy. I found this link to a PowerPoint provided by Tricore. https://www.tricore.org/sfc/servlet.shepherd/version/download/068f3000006vmZfAAI