Wiki running out of time to find an answer...

Colliemom

Expert
Best answers
I am having a little trouble understanding how to code late effects. Can anyone put into simple terms how to code for late effects?

For instance, how would you code these?

1)Scoliosis due to infantile paralysis

2)intraocular foreign body, left eye, secondary to blast injury that occurred in 1983.

3) Congestive heart failure Status post cerebral vascular accident, 1974, with residual left hemiparesis

(what would the primary dx be? What would the secondary dx be? How did you choose what would be the primary and secondary dx?)
cross posted to ICD-9 coding

Re-Late Effects

:) The residual condition you would code first, then you code for the late effect.
There is one exception in catagory 438 cerebrovascular disease. If the late effect is caused by an injury then you would follow with an E-Code. So you can have up to three codes depending on the circumstances.
1. code scoliosis 138 (L.E), then the paralysis 737.32
2. foreign body 908.5 (L.E.), Blast injury E-code 918.9 (need more info.)
3. congestive heart failure 428.0, residual left himiparisis is 438.21(L.E)

I hope this helps you, I am not certified yet so please look the codes up yourself. It is not as hard as it seems it is really cause and effect.

M.D.O

I am having a little trouble understanding how to code late effects. Can anyone put into simple terms how to code for late effects?

For instance, how would you code these?

1)Scoliosis due to infantile paralysis

2)intraocular foreign body, left eye, secondary to blast injury that occurred in 1983.

3) Congestive heart failure Status post cerebral vascular accident, 1974, with residual left hemiparesis

(what would the primary dx be? What would the secondary dx be? How did you choose what would be the primary and secondary dx?)
cross posted to ICD-9 coding

Hi,

Your question can be seen different ways depending what method you work. I take it you are in outpatient because you used the word "primary." So usually, primary diagnoses are listed as the reason why the patient and clinic had an encounter, or, what ever condition is present and payable at “time of ENCOUNTER…” I haven't seen an institutional or professional claim in a while, “but I think” only 4-5 diagnoses are allowed on the professional form and 12-15 are allowed on the institutional form.
Are you a student? I am…