Wiki ruptured achilles tendon path to coding?

Mrsrpc

Guru
Best answers
The instructions say this: "
ICD-10-CM Codes: In the ICD-10-CM Alphabetic Index, look for Rupture, ruptured/tendon (traumatic), you are directed to see Strain. Look for Strain/tendon referring you to see Injury, muscle, by site, strain. Look for Injury/Achilles tendon/strain directing you to S86.01-. When verifying in the Tabular List, you will notice you need a 6th character 2 to identify the left side and the 7th character A to indicate this is the initial encounter. The resulting code is S86.012A." My question is: How would I know to DEFY the instructions which clearly say to go by Injury, MUSCLE, by site, strain and decide to look up Injury Achilles tendon when I STARTED by looking for a tendon rupture but was told NOT to??????? I feel like I'm losing my MIND with this course. The rules are so conflicting.

It's because if you go to the correct site for the Achilles tendon in the index, which is Injury/muscle/leg (level) (lower) directly under that it states Achilles tendon-see Injury, Achilles tendon. If one starts at Rupture>tendon (traumatic) the index directs you to see Strain. If one goes to Strain>tendon the index directs you to see Injury, muscle, by site, strain.
It wouldn't be defying the instructions, the instructions are correct.
It requires an understanding of the muscle/tendon table and how they are classified. So, if we know the Achilles is classified as a lower leg tendon it makes sense. The same goes for the peroneals, they have their own codes while some other tendons might just be referred to as extensor or flexor for example, but not specifically named.