Wiki S CODES

bevlewis07

Networker
Best answers
Hello All

I hate to say it out loud but is anyone using the S0610, S0613, S0612 codes for commercial plans??

Back story:
I had a patient come in for her breast and pelvic exam, in which I coded out my usual 99 preventive code but I used the Z code for STD screening as primary... my claim was paid in full but I have been contacted by the patients insurance and the patient stating that I am to use another CPT code so that her PCP can be payed for his preventive exam.

I stumbled on those "S" codes and I can not fix myself to use them because that has never been my way of billing.

My question is, do you think the reason the insurance company will not pay both claims is because I failed to use the Z01.419 gyn dx code as primary ?? Has anyone else had this happen to them?? is the S codes appropriate for Gynecology offices?? :eek::cry:

You would not use S codes unless the specific payer requests them. See if you can bill G0101 Cervical or vaginal cancer screening; pelvic and clinical breast examination

You would not use S codes unless the specific payer requests them. See if you can bill G0101 Cervical or vaginal cancer screening; pelvic and clinical breast examination
Can you elaborate on why you would not use the S0610 & S0612 codes for Preventive annual gynecological exams. I have never used them before but I have a colleague that idicated she uses them frequently on commercial payors and does not have any issues and the reimbursement is higher than the 99... codes.
Thanks in advance.

Can you elaborate on why you would not use the S0610 & S0612 codes for Preventive annual gynecological exams. I have never used them before but I have a colleague that idicated she uses them frequently on commercial payors and does not have any issues and the reimbursement is higher than the 99... codes.
Thanks in advance.

You will want to check your payers policies. The S code set belongs to Blue Cross. Some payers are dumb and don't realize they should be rejecting S codes when a valid code with an RVU exists.