Wiki Saturation Prostate Biopsy Denials 55706

toria11

Guru
Best answers
Hi all,

We have been seeing an increasing number of denials for 55706 from Aetna, BCBS, and Tricare who now seem to be requiring TWO prior negative biopsy results. In the past I always believed it was one. I also recently received a denial from Humana stating our record didn't make it clear that stereotactic guidance was used... Does anyone have any info on where Medicare stands with these indications? Or a general set of rules/indications they follow when billing these?

Hi all,

We have been seeing an increasing number of denials for 55706 from Aetna, BCBS, and Tricare who now seem to be requiring TWO prior negative biopsy results. In the past I always believed it was one. I also recently received a denial from Humana stating our record didn't make it clear that stereotactic guidance was used... Does anyone have any info on where Medicare stands with these indications? Or a general set of rules/indications they follow when billing these?

I found a few clinical policies relating to the payers you mentioned.

Aetna -

Medical Necessity​

1. Aetna considers a transperineal stereotactic template-guided saturation prostate biopsy medically necessary for the following indications:
    • Men with 2 prior negative prostate biopsies and a prostate specific antigen (PSA) that is persistently rising; or
    • Men with histologic findings of atypia or high-grade prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia (PIN) on prior biopsy.
    • Aetna considers prostate saturation biopsy experimental and investigational for all other indications (e.g., surveillance or watchful waiting of persons with a positive prostate biopsy) because there is insufficient evidence on the clinical utility of this procedure for indications other than the ones listed above in the peer-reviewed medical literature.

BCBS - I'm not sure which state's BCBS you were looking for, but I did find a policy for Anthem which states that it is considered investigational and not medically necessary:

I took a quick look on the MCD, but didn't see anything. I'm off to a meeting or else I'd poke around a little more for Medicare info.