Wiki Savi Scout during partial mastectomy

Best answers
Hi,

If my doctor does a partial mastectomy and uses the savi probe to identify the savi reflector, would this be reported separately or considered bundled to main procedure since it is the approach? someone suggested to report unlisted 19499, but what would be the comparable code.

Thanks!!

I'm looking for some clarification myself. According to HCPCS Coding Clinic 3rd Qtr 2020, Vol 20, Number 3, pg 11 the SAVI SCOUT serves the same purpose as a clip or metallic pellet, as it is used to guide the surgeon to the exact location of the tumor or lymph node to be excised. CPT Asst Nov 2013, Vol 23, Issue 13, pg 14 states that segmentectomy procedures include placement of any fiduciary markers.

I'm leaning to the SAVI SCOUT being included in the 19301. What do you think?

A recent CPT Assistant (Volume 31, Issue 5) says that location devices can be billed separately providing they are placed in a procedure separate from the partial mastectomy, usually prior. If it is placed during the mastectomy (i.e. while the surgical opening for the mastectomy is still open), then it cannot be reported separately. If the device is placed prior to the mastectomy by the same surgeon, you can report 19281/19288-59 (or XE) along with 19301/19302 as appropriate.