Wiki SCS Generator Replacement w/new pocket created

lcole7465

Expert
Best answers
The doctor I code for did a SCS generator replacement with a new pocket and I want to make sure I'm coding it correctly. It looks like there is now a CCI edit for CPT 63685, 63688. Previously, we have coded for the new pocket with 64999.

The report reads: The electrodes were then connected and programmed to cover the patient's painful areas, which were functioning appropriately. The needles and stylets from the leads were then removed with confirmation of no lead migration using fluoroscopy. Then right lead anchor were advanced over the leads and secured to the electrodes using the torque wrench provided by manufacturer and then they were secured to the prevertebral fascia using fixate sutures on each anchor. Then I infiltrated the area of the planned new pocket with lidocaine 2% and bupivacaine 0.5% equal volume today's than 11 betamethasone suppress incision over the skin and subcutaneous tissue is a sharp and blunt dissection until I exposed the site for the new generator. The pocket was then connected to the midline incision using a tunneler provided by manufacturer. The permanent leads were then tunneled through to the pocket, to the the generator site, connected to the generator with confirmation.

Thank you

In this case code the 63685 is for the new generator.
63688 would be for a removal or revision(like moving generator from one location to another) of existing generator