Wiki Seeking Wound Care Information Please

sjfarnsworth

Contributor
Best answers
I am new to wound care and would much appreciate any advice or information you could give.

My Dr will be seeing patients in a local wound center. I will be coding his services only.

Would anyone care to shed light on the difference, or what determines the preference for the following code sets?

11040-11044
97597-97598

also, is an initial E&M visit allowed on the same day as a debridement? Obviously it would be for the same diagnosis.

thanks in advance for sharing your information! and Happy New Year!

Hi,

11040 -11044 - debridement of necrotic tissue along with HEALTHY TISSUE, so pre & post debridement measurement will be different. provider is using blade/sharp instrument to remove the necrotic tissue and also removing the some healthy tissue around the wound to regenerate the new cells.(use site modifier)

97597-97598 - removing necrotic tissue only, so pre & post debridemnt measurement will be same. provider may use water jet to remove the necrotic tissue.

am not sure about E&M

Hope this will help you

wound care

11040-11044 are your different level of debridements. Make sure your Doctor documents the level he goes down. If he does not take bone out you can not use 11044. CMS and some of the locals carriers have clear guidelines on Wound care. Read up on it and make sure your doctor has all needed documentation.Read your NCD and LCD's regarding debridements and lesion removal. Documentation is the key.
If he provides E&M service and it is documented you can bill with the correct modifer.
Good luck
Kathy