Wiki Seroma drained & debride retained suture

RebeccaMoney

Expert
Best answers
CPT 25028 or 11043? 25028 was authorized but physician gave me 11043.
...A 2cm incision was made in line with the previous incision . Incision was made through skin only. Blunt dissection was carried deeply and about a 1 cm seroma was evacuated. There were small remnants of the previous Vicryl suture that has been placed, which was debrided with a rongeur.
Please help. Thank you,

Because the physician did not go past the skin layer, the code is going to be in the integumentary system. Code 25028 is in the M/S system, so that is ruled out. Code 11043 is for the debridement of a wound down to the muscle and fascia level. Once again, documentation does not support work done in the muscle & fascia. Look at 10140. It specifically mentions I&D of a seroma and has more RVU value than 11042.

10140 certainly seem more correct. It was confusing me that the note stated through skin only but then stated dissection carried deeply. Thank you so much for your help.

You have to make your decisions based on documentation. The physician made a point to state that the incision went through the skin only. If the physician went past the skin/sub-q tissue it would need to be documented. This is why coders and physicians need to work together.