Wiki Sibling therapy

PatriciaCPC

Best answers
Hi everyone,
Can anyone tell me how they are / would bill Sibling therapy with parents in the session and Sibling therapy without parents in the session. (Both Siblings btw are the patients)

I contacted a major insurance for clarification of such, and was advised 90847 would apply however we would only be able to bill under 1 of the siblings.

I feel there should be a better way to define this scenario with CPT.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The billing will go under the patients name, CPT 90846 Family without patient present or 90847 Family with patient present. The session/therapy is for the patients benefit, family members are not your patient. Documentation must state all that were present and topic of discussion.

If the siblings with the parents are all seen at the same time, I would think it would be ethical to only bill for one 90847. If the siblings are split up and each is seing the provider with their parents present, then I would think it is ok to bill 90847 for each child.
When everyone is seen at the same time all issues are laid on the table at the same time. I don't see how it could be billed twice. Idk, just my opinion.